Data migration between various platforms.Have you ever thought about migrating your production database from one platform to another and dropped this idea later, because it was too risky, you were not ready to bare a downtime?
Let’s discuss some important features of AWS DMS:
- The source database remains fully operational during the migration.
- Migrates the database securely, quickly and accurately.
- No downtime required works as schema converter as well.
- Supports various type or database like MySQL, MongoDB, PSQL etc.
- Migrates real-time data also synchronize ongoing changes.
- Homogeneous migrations (migrations between the same engine types).
- Heterogeneous migrations (migrations between different engine types).
- Compatible with a long range of database platforms like RDS, Google SQL, on-premises etc.
- Inexpensive (Pricing is based on the compute resources used during the migration process).
|This is a high-level overview of Data Migration Setup.|
Let's perform step by step migration:
Create replication instance:
Now let's create two endpoints “Source” and “Target”:
Create Target Endpoint:
Create a “Replication Task” to start replication:
- Task Name: any name
- Replication Instance: The instance we’ve created above
- Source Endpoint: The source database
- Target Endpoint: The target database
- Migration Type: Here I choose “Migrate existing data and replicate ongoing” because we needed ongoing changes.